I saw this gorgeous example on the Just a Girl blog and thought it would be perfect for us.
With the activties written on paper inside each matchbox, I can easily change activities depending on the weather or what ever else is going on (including everyone's behaviour and my own sanity!) I've made a list of which activities are in which box, and stuck the list inside the pantry. I also knew it would come in under budget - I asked around for matchboxes, had paper already lying around etc etc. Here's ours...
Rather than a jar, I used our salad bowl! It's easier for little hands to search for the right number, and less likely to get broken (I hope!).
It was harder than I thought to come up with ideas - most calendars seem to be filled with lollies or toys. I wanted this to be about the things we can do together, so here's our list...
- Decorate the tree
- Read a Christmas book
- Colour a Christmas picture
- Write a letter to Santa
- Buy / borrow, and listen to, some Christmas music
- Make a Christmas card for Emma and Harry's friends
- Make a Christmas treat for a friend
- Make Christmas decorations
- Get a photo taken with Santa
- Hang our Christmas Stockings
- Have a picnic in the park
- Make a Christmas treat
- Make a Christmas picture for someone and post it to them
- Buy a gift and place it under a charity tree
- Borrow a Christmas book from the library
- Make popcorn and watch a Christmas movie
- Go to a Christmas Fair
- Go to the Carols
- Buy our dog a Christmas present
- Wrap some presents
- Camp out under the tree
- Drive around and look at the Christmas lights
- Make a Christmas card / place card for Gran
- Leave a treat out for Santa