Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Making a Coat Rack - Progress on my Entry

My very empty entry is mid way through a makeover. Finishing my hall table and mirror got the ball rolling, and on the opposite wall I wanted to try my hand at making my own coat rack.

 photo entry_zpsd78cbd40.jpg

I picked up a very plain piece of pine at the local hardware store, and used a router to shave the edges. Well, ok, Danny used the router, but I explained what I wanted and generally managed production. ;) I looked everywhere for a stencil, but most of what I found was completely out of my price range. I finally found something I thought I could manipulate, and at $15 it was perfect. And of course it's paisley!

 photo entry2_zps7daef63d.jpg

After stencilling I sanded and stained. I didn't want the paisley to be too bright, so I painted two coats of the same chocolate brown stain I used on my coffee table.

Then it was on to hooks - who knew the right hooks were so hard to find! I headed to Ikea (an hour and a half drive away) and they didn't have what I wanted in stock. While I wasn't happy at the time, I then found these at Mulbury which I think are perfect!

 photo entry3_zps5d9693a9.jpg

As you may have noticed from that very first photo, I'm still working on the artwork. My completely indecisive self has taken over and I'm stumped! I thought I'd like some retro looking posters, and then I thought I could use some of Emma and Harry's artwork, and then... well the list goes on. Regardless, be assured that the Ikea branding won't be there forever!

As a little side note, I was lucky enough to pick up this rocking chair last week. FOR FREE!!!! I can't wait to get painting and re-covering. What do you think?

 photo rockingchair2_zps5b1a9a53.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!



I'm sharing at
Tip Junkie
Sugar Bee Crafts
Not Just a Housewife 
Primitive & Proper
Domestically Speaking
Live Laugh Rowe
aka design 
Simple Home Life 
Too Much Time on my Hands
Sew Many Ways

4 comments:

  1. Love the coat rack, particularly your choice of hooks. I have never heard of Mulbury and am glad you mentioned it, it is gorgeous! Shame the hooks are sold out though :(

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks gorgeous Catherine!! You are a master at painting detail!!
    LOVE the chair...can't wait to see what you come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks fabulous, catherine! love the fun paisley design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stained paisley look - such a great alternative to stark white paint. Love it! xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...