Monday, July 8, 2013

Vintage Vanity or Writing Desk

 photo vintagedesk_zpsbe2ca3bf.jpg

I was so excited to pick up this desk, I loved the legs and the arch in the middle, the lovely legs, even the drawer pulls. The man selling it was moving his parents to a retirement village and it was one of the last pieces to go - lucky me! That said, if you remember back when I shared the before photo you'll know there's a story that comes with this girl! When I arrived to collect her I had misjudged her size and spent an hour or so freaking out about getting her in the car. Here she is before...

 photo vanitydesk2_zps50359c02.jpg

The desk was a good price because the original featured a framed mirror, but the frame had broken - see that piece sticking up on the right hand side in the picture above? On the left it was twice as long, and was definitely not going to let me get her in the car. Long story short, I looked around and the only thing for it was to knock on someones door and ask for a saw, and and cut those things off!

 photo vintagedesk2_zpsff50192d.jpg

The poor man that lent me his saw must have thought I was a crazy woman. I arrived on his door step, tears streaming, with a two year old (who'd be chasing his cat), and asking if I could borrow a saw. Thankfully he handed it over. Actually, he offered to do it for me, but honestly this was an elderly man and I couldn't let him.

 photo vintagedesk3_zps5dc4506d.jpg

So after all that to get her home, I've used Annie Sloan Pure White and Duck Egg Blue on this girl. She is distressed, though not heavily, just enough to highlight her features. I haven't filled dings or scratches, this girl wears her age beautifully ;)

I did initially plan to leave the drawer fronts original wood, however they were quite uneven round the edges so decided to work with it. Painting and distressing those edges has worked beautifully.

 photo vintqagedesk4_zpsaf784365.jpg

Work started today on our new flooring, hence the photos of this desk on our driveway. Our house is a construction site; DK and I have just pulled the lounge out on to the cement slab ready for tonight and then we'll put it back in the garage in the morning. Almost everything else is crammed into bedrooms, bathrooms, or the laundry.Hopefully I'll have something other than a cement slab to share soon :)

Thanks for stopping by..






I'm sharing at...
Domestically Speaking 
Lilyfield Life 
Miss Mustard Seed
Blue Egg Brown Nest 
Redoux 
Live Laugh Rowe

8 comments:

  1. Oh it's gorgeous Catherine!
    I had my eye on a similar one - but the seller sold it before I could get there:(
    Beautiful colors - I just love this!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! i love the two toned look on this one, and adore its shape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous piece and love what you've done with it!! I feel for you living through your floor redo...it's hard but will be so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful, I love those two colours together. I remember you telling that story, that man must have thought you'd lost the plot! It was worth it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow it looks great...well worth the tears and the old man sympathy!!. cant wait to see the new floors Al x

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha he probably offered to do it for you so he didn't have to hand the saw to the crazy lady, lol ;)

    Glad it all worked out and the colours are perfect. I'm sure it will sell fast for you!

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Catherine - I've turned up with my saw at people's houses also and they must think i am mental. your desk turned out beautifully. i'm sure it will be snapped up. thanks for linking to Paint Parade
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is beautiful! Love the colors! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...